5-month-old baby to die in Lagos inferno
A five-month-old baby was yesterday burnt to death after fire engulfed a one-storey building in Agbado-Oke Odo Local Council Development Area, (LCDA), Lagos State.
Sources disclosed that the inferno that engulfed the building at 28 Adeyoola Street, Kola Bus Stop, started at about 12:10p.m.yesterday, when many of the occupants had left for work. Eyewitness blamed the mother, saying the incident was as a result of carelessness on the part of the baby’s mother, who was cooking inside her room at the right wing of the house.
It was learned that the baby, who was already asleep, was left in the room by her mother before the fire that razed the top floor of the building started.
Residents narrated that the mother left the room without putting off the stove, which later caught fire that engulfed the room, burning the baby to death.
Aside the baby, eight rooms were also burnt by the inferno, destroying property worth millions of Naira.
Sources further revealed that the fire would have escalated to other building, but for the combined intervention of emergency responders, including Lagos State Fire Service and the State Emergency Management Agency, (LASEMA), that salvaged over 15 rooms.
It was also learned that the deceased baby’s corpse was recovered and handed over to the Policemen from Alakuko Police Station.
Confirming the tragedy, Director of the State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, urged residents to desist from cooking in their rooms.