DSS aborted terror attacks on Abuja, six other cities during Sallah
Daura DG DSS
The Department of State Services (DSS) disclosed on Saturday that suspected terrorists planned to unleash terror on six states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) during the Eid- Kabir celebration.
DSS said the plot was spearheaded by Islamic State of West Africa terrorists whose aim was to disrupt the Eid-Kabir celebration.
It added that the plan was to conduct gun attacks and suicide bombings on FCT, Kano, Kaduna, Niger, Bauchi, Yobe and Borno States.
Spokesperson for the DSS, Tony Opuiyo, who disclosed these in a statement, named one Husseini Mai-Tangaran as mastermind of the plan.
He said the suspect had been on DSS and Nigeria Army radar since 2012, when he allegedly spearheaded the armed attacks on the office of the Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of Zone I, on January 20, 2012, as well as other public places in Kano.
The statement said: “Mai-Tangaran was also responsible for the deadly explosive attacks against worshippers at the Kano Central Mosque as well as an attack on a military formation in Yobe State in 2015, which claimed many of lives.
“The suspect was arrested in Kano on August 31 and further exploitation led to the arrest of one Abdulkadir Mohammed by the Service on September 2, at Kantin Kwari Market, Fagge, Kano.
“Mohammed was a fighter of the sect who left the conclave of the group in the Sambisa forest, to join ranks with Ismaila towards carrying out the attacks being planned by the group.
“Also, another accomplice in the plot, one Muhammad Ali, was arrested on September 3, at Sheka area in Kumbotso area of the state.
Prior to his arrest, Ali was the financial courier of the group in Kano. He was one of the conduits through which funds and other material logistics were channelled to the group from foreign extremist elements/sponsors.