IG Idris: police to probe Miyetti Allah’s role in killings
Inspector General of Police Ibrahim Idris yesterday promised to probe all allegations raised against the Miyetti Allah Katah Houre by the Benue State government following the killings by Fulani herdsmen.
The IG also said the allegation by Governor Samuel Ortom that killer-herdsmen launched their attack from neiggbouring Nasarawa State would be investigated Governor Tanko Al-Makura has denied the claim.
Idris spoke at a stakeholders meeting in Makurdi, the Benue State capital, on his arrival to take charge of security in the state.
Ortom said the dead toll had risen to 73 after two more bodies were found in the bush yesterday.
He said some militia men were still in camp in Tungwa,Awe Local Government Area of Nasarawa State
Idris apologised for his widely criticised statement that the killings arose from” communal clashes”.
He said 10 mobile police units had been stationed in Benue to track the killers and bring them to justice.
The governor donated five Hilux vans for the operation.
Police spokesman Jimoh Moshood, in a statement reaffirmed that the I-G was moving with additional five units of Police Mobile Force, making 10 units deployed in Benue.
“More units of the Police Special Forces, Counter Terrorism Units, and Conventional Policemen are already being deployed to the State to comply in totality with the presidential order.
“The full weight of the law will be applied on anyone arrested for being responsible for the mayhem in the affected areas in the state.
“The commitment of the Nigeria Police Force to ensure law and order and protection of lives and property of all Nigerians throughout the country remains unequivocal and unwavering,” he said.
Flags have been flying at half mast in the state after the government declared three days of mourning which will end today with the mass burial of the 73 bodies. The burial will be preceded by a church service.
Today has been declared a work-free day in the state. Civil servants have been closing from work at 1.pm since Tuesday.
It was learnt that there was “pressure from above” on Ortom to shelve today’s mass burial of the victims killed in Guma and Logo local government areas.
Sources said some government officials in Abuja were not comfortable with the mass burial arrangement and live broadcast of the funeral by the international media.
.But an aide to the governor said yesterday Ortom stood his ground to ahead with the programme.